Srivaishnavam Parambaryam, Traditions & The Culture that stands Class apart from others
Essence of Srivaishnavam Practices – Owner Contact Details
Srimathe Ranga Ramanuja Mahadesikaya Namaha:
Why Kachchi Varadharaja Temple is Guru Sthalam
By Kudandai Amudhan
Jupiter is known as Bruhaspathi or Deva Guru, the teacher of Devas. Jupiter Adhi Devada is Brahma. His vehicle known as ‘vahana’ is Elephant. Bird is Swan (Hamsa). Metal is Gold. Flower is white Mullai (lily), Gems are Yellow Sapphire & Topaz (Pushaparaham), Brahmin by caste, Language is Sanskrit, day is Thursday and Pulse (Dhaniyam) is Bengal gram. Jupiter denotes honey, sweet by taste, Colour is Yellow. Jupiter’s own signs are Saggitarius (Dhanur Rasi) & Pieces (Meena Rasi) and uttcha (exalted) in kataka (cancer) Rasi. Peepal tree is identified with Jupiter. His direction is North. Jupiter denotes following aspects in our life:
Teacher, priest, Barrister, magistrates, awards, winners, charity, Philosophers, Rituals, Religious missionaries, wealth, long distance Travel, minister, seers, grand audience, sound, vedic texts, Blessings, holy water, yagnyas, knowledge of sutras and smruthies, Devotion towards God, wood, good luck, Asariri (angelic aerial voice), bankers, financiers, boon for parenthood, Education, treasure, honour, elder brother, grace, Conferences, prosperity and progeny.
Jupiter represents brain, fat & Liver. Jupiter represents husband in females horoscope. Jupiter is associated with principles of growth, expansion, Good fortune and tends to expand things wherever he aspects. Jupiter is known as one who propriates progeny (putra karaka) as well as wealth (Dhana karaka). Spirituality, Vedic Scriptures, shasthras are signified by Jupiter. Let us examine as to how Jupiter is connected to Kanchi and Sri Varadar (Varadharaja swamy of Athigiri Kshetram – Kanchipuram known also as Kancheevaram) sthalam.
1) Kanchi is one among the seven sacred cities – viz. Ayodhya, Mathura, Maya (Mayapuri), Kasi (Kashi), Kanchi, Avantika (Avanti), Dwaraka – that can bestow moksha. ‘Ka’ means Brahma and ‘Anjitham’ means who was worshipped. Since Lord Brahma worshipped Lord Vishnu as Varadan (giver of boons), this sthalam is known as ‘Kanchi’ or ‘kacchi’ in Tamil. Lord Brahma is the Adhi Devada of Deva Guru Bruhaspathi and hence Kanchi itself by name is connected to Deva Guru.
2) This temple name ‘Hasthigiri’ or ‘Atthigiri’ in Tamil is derived from legend that Airaavatam, the elephant of Indra had taken the form of a Hillock at Kanchi serving as the uttravedhi (second location) for Brahmas yaagam. Deva Guru vahana Is Elephant which denotes the kaaragathvam(propotiation) in this.
3) Lord Brahma wanted to worship Lord Narayana in ChaturBujam and went on long penance. Then an Asariri (divine voice) from Heaven informed him either he should perform one thousand Aswamedha yaagams or just one Aswamedha yaagam in a sacred place called ‘Sathya Vratha Kshetra’ which is known as ‘ Kanchi’. This means that a good deed performed in Kanchi will yield benefits by thousand times. ‘Asariri’ is the kaaragathva of Deva Guru Bruhaspathi and without grace of Guru, it is not possible to get divine voice.
4) Brahma commanded Vishwa karma, the architect of demiGods to create the Utthara Vedhi for the yaagam on top of Hasthigiri. Brahma’s wife Saraswathi, due to an altercation with her husband took the form of a fast moving Vegavathi River to destroy the yaaga saalai. Then Lord Varadharaajar took the form of a dam (sethu) across the Vegavathi river and arrested the flow of furious river. Emperumans merciful glance banished the anger of Saraswathi and restored her to sense and made her join the ongoing yaagam. The original moolaver (main) deity of Lord Varadhan was carved out of Atthi Wood (fig tree) and was immersed in temple tank in a silver casket as per the order of Emperuman which is taken out from water tank once in every 40 years. Next scheduled for viewing this, is the year 2019. A Granite deity brought from Pazhaya Srivaram was replaced as Moolavar in this place. Holy river, Goddess of Education (Saraswathi), the realization of good sense are indications of Jupiter, that signify above.
5) At the final stage of yaagam, Brahma offered his Vapaa (marrow from his own body) as Aahuthi (offering) and poured it in to the sacrificial fire when immediately arose the supreme jyothi housing Punya koti vimaanam (tower) with Lord Varadar uttchavar deity known as Dhivya Mangala Vigraham emerged at its centre from the womb of fire (Homa kundam). Brahma asked for the Boon from Emperuman to stay permanently in Sathya vratha kshethram to bless devotees forever. Lord Brahma performed Aaraadhanam to Lord Varadhan in Krutha Yugam as per his directive. Yaagams, supreme sacrifices, vedic fire and boons denote the kaaragathvam of Jupiter. Swami Desikar paasuram implies this in Hasthigiri Mahaathmyam as below:
ஆதியுகத்தயன் கண்டிட னின்றவருள் வரதர்
காதலுயர்ந்த களிற்றைத் திரேதையில் காத்தளித்து
வாதுயர் தேவுகுருவுக்கிரங்கித் துவாபரத்தில்
சோதி அநந்தன் கலியில் தொழுதெழ நின்றனரே
– ஸ்ரீ ஸ்வாமி தேசிகன்
6) Maharishi Mahasanthar started severe penance in forest to worship the beautiful, divine appearance of the Lord (dhivya mangala svarupam of Emperumanar). Indra sent Apsaras to distract the Rishi’s attention. Having failed in this attempt, he took in disguise of a Male Elephant started making love with female Elephants in front of Maharishi who was tempted in his mind by seeing this and wanted to be an Elephant. Because of Indras Mayajal, Mahasanthar become an Elephant called Gajendran. After wandering in forest for many years, this Elephant reached Godavari river. Realising its purvajanmam, under the advice from Mirukandu Rishi, Gajendran reached sathya vratha ksethram to pray Lord Varadhan by doing daily Aaradhana offering Lotus flowers to Emperuman with devotion. Thus one day when Gajendran was plucking Lotus flowers in the Pond, he was caught in foot by Crocodile and lost all hope of survival after fighting with crocodile for many years. Finally by surrendering to Lord Sriman NarayaNa, The Emperuman, Elephant cried aloud his divine name. Lord Varadan came to the resue of Gajendraazhvan and saved him by killing the crocodile. Gajendraazhvan worshipped Lord Varadhan in Trethayuga. Elephant and devotion signify Deva Guru.
7) Deva Guru had to undergo sufferings by being born in earth due to some curse from Rishies on account of differences in views on sastras. Hence Bruhaspathi following the advice of sage Bharadwaj went on severe penance at Kanchi praying for the grace of Lord Varadhan. Brahma Devan took pity on the plight of Devas who lost their senses without the divine guidance of Bruhaspathi in Devaloka and prayed to Lord Varadharajan for mercy on Bruhaspathi.Accordingly Lord Devaraja gave dharshan to Bruhaspathi and returned him to his divine self-appearance (svarupam) and position in Devaloga. As per the directive of Lord Varadhan, Bruhaspathi performed Aaradhana to Him in Dwaparayuga at Kanchi.
8) Lord Varadhan sannidhi vimanam is “Punniya Koti Vimanam” as it destroys our sins and bestows punyam by mere sight of vimana. Hence in this temple on Vaikunda Ekadesi day, there is no Swarga Vaasal like in other Vishnu temples, as this kshethra itself would bestow moksha with a mere thought and sight of puniya koti vimana signifying with the saying that Jupiter’s aspect to any moon sign makes a lots more benefit. “(குரு பார்க்க கோடி நன்மை”), the good aspect of Jupiter in a horoscope will give crores of good deeds. Deva Guru prayed Lord Varadhan under Punniya Koti Vimanam in Dwapara yuga. It is believed that every year on Purattasi Sravanam night, Deva Guru visits Anantha saras pushkarni to do Aaradhanam to Lord varadarajar.-
வாதுயர் தேவகுருவுக்குத் துவாபரத்தில் இரங்கியருளும் பெருமாள்
வாரிதிசூழ் வையகம் வாழ்விக்கும் பெருமாள்
விட்டுவெனும் கட்டெழில் சோலைக் கரிகிரிமேல் நின்ற கற்பகமான பெருமாள்
வீணேயாம் பயனகற்றி தாமனைத்துந் தீவினையைத் தவிர்க்கும் பெருமாள்
– ஸ்ரீ ஸ்வாமி தேசிகன்
9) Perundevi Thayar sannidhi vimanam is known as ‘kalyana vimanam’ which matches the significance of Jupiter who is the karaga for 7th house (kalathra sthanam) for ladies and also Gurus transit to benefic houses in Gochara movement would give strength to individual horoscope for fixing marriage to the native. Malayala Nachiyar, daughter of king of Cheran who had her love and devotion for Sri Varadhan in his Archa murthi merged with Lord in his sannidhi due to the divine blessing of perundevi Thayar. Sight of Kalyana vimanam would shower golden blessings of Guru.
10) Lord Varadhan avathara star is Hastham and moon in this star only direct 7th aspect falls on meena Rasi owned by Jupiter.Sri Ramanujar star is Thiruvathirai,moon in this star on its only 7thaspect falls on dhanusu Rasi owned by Jupiter and similarly for Swami Desikar star is Sravanam, moon standing in this star aspects Kataka Rasi where Jupiter is exalted (uchcham) This shows that Guruparampara started from this Emperuman/piratti-Sri Ramanujar-swami Desikar and go on like this to the present Acharyas. Varadarajar is the God referred to by Nammazhwar in his very first pasuram of Thiruvaimozhi ‘Madhi Nalam Arulinan Avan'(Giver of wisdom) and in conformity with this saying, Nammazhwar appears in this temple without his usual ‘Gnana mudrai by keeping his hand on his chest. Acharyas and wisdom are gift of Jupiter.
11) Swami Desikar was approached by a Brahmin Brahmachari seeking financial support for his marriage.swamy Desikar took him to the sannidhi of divine mother Perumdevi Thayar and sang the famous ‘sristhuthi”.Immediately the sky opened up and rained Gold coins.Swami Desikar asked Brahmachari to take away the Gold coins for his marriage. Swamis divine grace to this poor Brahmin Brahmachari matching with blessings of Guru who is called Dhanakaraka for wealth and for Gold as his metal and also Guru denotes Brahmins by caste.
12) Thirumangai mannan was arrested for not paying taxes to chozha king as he spent all those money thus collected for Bhagavathas kainkaryam and also feeding vaishnavites. He prayed to Lord Varadarajar who came in his dream and showed the place of Treasure in vegavati river which was identified and given to the chozha king who realized the greatness of kaliyan and waived off the taxes due by giving back the treasure to him. Sri Thirumangai azhwar is posed in this temple at his sannidhi holding ‘NIDHI’ in his hand. Guru is the dhanakaraga who graced him as Treasure/Nidhi is his karagathavam.
13) The uniqueness of Lord sri Varadan in his Archa Murthi was that he had been the preceptor and guide of Sri Vaishnava Sampradhayam since he gave six words (tenets) through Thiru Kacchi nambigal advocating Prapatti by his divine answers to Sri Ramanujar. This six words contained the essence of our great philosophy that made Sri Ramanujar to teach Sri Bashyam to the world. The sixth word commandment from Sri Varadhan was the direction to Sri Ramanujar to surrender at the holy feet of Sri Peria Nambi seeking him as his Acharya. Hence Sri Ramanuja is posed in this temple with ‘vyakya mudrai’in the posture of instructing to denote this historical episode contrary to his normal posture in other temples with Anjali in worshipping manner.Lord Varadhan message through Nambi was given in ‘Thiru Kachi vaithan mandapam’. Thus Jupiter which signify the divine direction, philosophy, vedic sasthras,surrender to Acharya are well defined above.
14) Poigai Azhwar, very first of muthal three Azhwars took the Avatar without Garbha vaasam ( not by Birth) in a Golden Lotus Pushkarni at Kanchi as an incarnation of Pancha janyam, the divine white Conch of Lord Sriman Narayana. Panchajanyam which shape and sound resembles that of Holy Pranavam symbolzing the essence of Vedas. Golden lotus, pranavam, sound and Vedas are connected with Deva Guru through the Avatar of muthal azhwar.
15) Both Sri Ramanujar and Swami Desikar had their Roots at Kanchi and stayed for long time in this Kshetra and dedicated their entire life to nurture Vishitadvaitha philosophy. Lord Varadhan was dearer to both and as Araadhana murthi for sri Ramanujar while swami Desikar performed his prapatthi at the divine feet of Lord sri Varadharaajar. Sri Ramanujar undertook pilgrimage on foot to Dwaraka,Badrinath,Mathura ect besides he went on a Mission to Kashmiram to obtain a Grantham from Saradha peedam.similarly swami Desikar had travelled on visit to temples in Badri, Ayodhia, Kaasi, Salagram, Mathura, Avanti, Dwaraka . Long distance travels, Holy Mission and Pilgrimage trips are of Jupiter Karagathvam which signify in this context on above.
16) Vishitadvaitham is the only philosophy that logically explains the concept of Vedas and Upanishads Initiated by great Acharyas Sri Nathamuni, Sri Alavandar. Bagwath Sri Ramanuja propagated the doctrines to make the world realise in a logical and scientific manner the supremacy of this philosophy. Swami Desikar dedicated his life to the exposition and elaboration of this philosophy which was expounded by Sri Ramanuja and systematized the philosophy faithfully interpreting the ancient knowledge in the true sprit of metaphysics. Due to the divine grace of Jupiter who is identified with the idea of growth,expansiveness/ prosperity, was made possible by Acharyas.
17) Ikshvaku kula king kusethvagen who was childless for many years, following the advice from sage Sri Vedhaviyazar came to Kanchi and performed yaagam and Aaradhana to Lord Varadharaajar who was pleased with his devotion blessed him for parenthood to a child who later become a chakravarthi called Sri Vichvajith,rendering many kaingariams to Kanchi Ksethram. Similarly Lord Vardhan came in dream to Swami Desikar and blessed him for a son with all goodness, later known as Sri Varadhacharia. Jupiter is the putra karagha who denotes above.
18) Ganga Devi due to some curse was waiting at Kanchi to have darshan of Lord Varadharaajar in Garuda Seva to get relieved of her curse. Following the foot step of their leader Ganga Devi, other divine Thirthams also assembled and had holy bath before witnessing the event of Ganga Devi getting the divine grace of Emperuman in Garuda sevai. This took place at a place which was named as ‘Gangai Konda Mandapam’ and the holy tank where all sacred rivers converged for the holy Turmeric Bath is called as ‘Manjal Kalavai’ at Kanchi. Holy Rivers, yellow Turmeric water, Divine grace are of Jupiter’s karagathvam.
19) Bagwath Sri Ramanujar took sanyasam at Ananta saras Pushkarni and Lord Varadhan invested to him a Honorific Title ‘ Yethi Rajar ‘through Thiru Kacchi Nambigal meaning king among sanyasis.Similarly Swamy Desikar was given a sammanam of ‘Thirucchinnam’under the divine order of Lord Varadhan due to Desikars efforts to establish Tamil Divya Prabhandham recitation in Kanchi by defeating the opponents. Sri Desikar composed his work ‘Thiruchinnamalai’ Honour, Title and sanyasam are of karagathvam of Deva Guru.
20) Adhi seshan is doing Araadhana to Lord Perarulalan in Kali yuga at Anantha saras pushkarni in temple where Bagwath Sri Ramanuja took sanyasam. As per the pasuram of Kanchi sthala, Sri Poygaiyazhvar in Mudal Thiruvandadi (first phrase), Adhi Seshan is the Paduka of Emperuman in his verses ‘Ninraal Maravadiyam’ and hence Paduka as Acharya and its incarnation as Sri Ramanujar doing Aradhanam in Kali yuga in this temple are of importance for its connection to Bruhaspathi.
Swami Desikar works In Nutshell –
a) Swami Desikar described the beauty and puranam of Kanchi in a Kaviyam “Hamsa chandasam” depicting in imaginary mind as if a Hamsa bird as messenger passing through this kshetram to hand over a message from Lord Rama to Sita piratti. Hamsa is the bird of Deva Guru.
b) Kanchi called as ‘Golden city’ was the seat of Sri Vaishnava sambradhayam which witnessed expansiveness and growth in Ritual practices in the past few decades in line with karagathvam of Deva Guru taught us the practice to apply Srichooranam in “Golden yellow” described as Hiranya varnam as pirattis svarupam given in swami Desikars work which is the symbolic colour of Deva Guru with significance attached to Sri Lakshmi – The Goddess of wealth.
c) Swami Desikar kumarar Sri Varadacharya composed Thanian on Desikar imploring as ‘sriman venkata natharyah kavitharkika kesari’ corresponding to “Gaja Kesari yogam” bestowed by Jupiter. Sri Varadacharyas Disciple Brahma tantra swantantra composed thanian saying ‘Gnana Vairaghya Bushanam’ denoting the’ Gnanam and vairaghyam bestowed by Jupiter.
In Kundalini yoga, sakthi is awaken through Brahma Nadi under the guidance of Guru and similarly for attaining eternal peace – Moksha, once jeevathma sheds its earthly body known as sthula sariram, it has to go via Brahma Nadi for which Jupiter grace is required and this is possible only with the blessing of Acharya. Those who want to get the grace of Guru must visit Kanchipuram (Kanjeevaram) on Thursday/ Purattasi (during Mid-September/Mid-October every year) Sravanam day and surrender to their Acharyar for his divine blessings.
|Jaya Jaya Sri Sudarsana: Jaya Jaya Sri Sudarsana:|
|Jaya Jaya Sri Sudarsana: Jaya Jaya Sri Sudarsana:|
|Srimathe Sri NeeLa Bhooma Devi NAyikA Sametha|
|Sri Lakshmi Nrusimha Parabrahmmane Nama:|
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.