Srivaishnavam Parambaryam, Traditions & The Culture that stands Class apart from others
Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam – An in-depth study that adds glorious value to His name
The Sri Vishnu Sahasranam
The Thousand Names of Sri Maha Vishnu
Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam Slokha 61 – 72 Page – 6 of 9
572. sudhanva / He Who has a splendid bow. om sudhanvane namah.
573. khanda-parasuh / He with the broken axe. Om khanda-parasave namah.
574. darunah / a) The Splitter. b) He who is merciless to those who deviate from the path of virtue. Om darunaya namah.
575. dravina-pradah / The Bestower of wealth. Om dravina-pradaya namah.
576. divisprk / He Who touches the skies. a) through His knowledge, b) by His being not only in the form of this Universe, but also far beyond it. c) By His vamana incarnation. d) By His viavarupa revealed to arjuna. e) By His being the antaryami for surya and the other planets. Om divisprse namah.
577. sarvadrk / The All-seer. a) He who sees everything – the totality of para tattvam. b) He who is in the form of knowledge of all forms. c) He who is the Creator of all forms that can see under different conditions. Om sarvadrse namah.
578. vyasah / The Arranger. a) He who arranged the Vedas into its four divisions, the Puranas into 18, etc. b) He who divided time as well as His creation into its various sub-divisions (e.g., day and night, Sukla paksha and Krshna paksha, man from woman, Surya from Candra, etc.), c) He whose ornaments (like kaustubha) shine distinctly. Om vyasaya namah.
579. vacas-patih / The Master of words. (See also 218) Om vacaspataye namah.
580. ayonijah / The Unborn. Om ayonijaya namah.
581. tri-sama / He who is propounded by the three-fold Sama Veda. om tri-samne namah.
582. sama-gah / a) The singer of sAma. b) He who is praised by the Sama. Om sama-gaya namah.
583. sama / a) He who removes the sins of those who sing about Him. b) He who is in the form of the Sama Veda Himself. c) He who is soft and sweet. Om samne namah.
584. nirvanam / The Bliss. a) He who is the cause of Bliss to His devotees. b) He who is the embodiment of Bliss Himself. Om nirvanaya namah.
585. bheshajam / The Remedy. Om bheshajaya namah.
586. bhishak / The Physician. Om bhishaje namah.
587. sannyasa-krt / a) He Who cuts asunder the bonds when desires are renounced. b) The Institutor of the samnyasa asrama for the attainment of moksha. c) He Who shows the path of Saranagati to His devotee. Om sannyasa-krte namah.
588. Samah / a) He Who instructs on how to control anger etc. b) He who instructs that control of mind is the principal dharma for samnyasin. c) He who controls all beings, including during pralaya. d) He Who has absolute control of mind – He Whose nature is Calmness. e) He who puts an end to the darkness in His devotees’ mind. Om Samaya namah.
589. Santah / He whose mind is always tranquil. Om Santaya namah.
590. nishtha / a) The object of concentration. b) The stable Abode of all during pralaya. Om nishthayai namah.
591. santih / a) Peace. b) The object of meditation. c) The Ultimate Support. Om santaye namah.
592. parayanam / a) The Ultimate Means. b) The Best Goal. c) He Who has the Best Abode to seek. Om parayanaya namah.
593. Subhangah / a) He Who possesses and gives the eight auspicious accessories of yoga. b) He Who has a handsome form. c) He Who has a form that bestows mangalam to those who meditate on It. d) He Who makes everything auspicious by His presence, movement, etc. The same nama occurs again as nama 788. Om subhangaya namah.
594. santi-dah / The bestower of eternal peace. Om santidaya namah
595. srashtA / The Creator. Om srashtre namah. (This nama also occurs later as nama 990.)
596. ku-mudah / He who is happy in His relation to this world in various forms. Om kumudaya namah.
(This nama also occurs as nama 813.)
597. kuvalesayah / a) The Controller of the jivas who wander in this world with the thought that they are the masters of their bodies. b) He Who is reclining in the waters surrounding this earth. om kuvalesayaya namah.
598. gohitah / a) He Who looks after the welfare of the world. b) He Who protected the cows by lifting the Govardhana mountain. Om gohitaya namah.
599. gopatih / a) The Lord of the Celestial world. b) The Lord of the indriyas. om gopataye namah. (This nama occurred earlier as nama 497, Slokam 53.)
600. gopta / The Protector. Om goptre namah. (This nama occurred earlier as nama 498, Slokam 53.)
601. vrshabhakshah / a) He Who is the Support for the cycle of samsara in the form of dharma. b1) He Whose Eyes shower all fruits desired. b2) He who has dharma as His objective. om vrshabhakshaya namah.
602. vrshapriyah / a) dharma-lover. b) Dear to the virtuous. Om vrsha-priyaya namah.
603. anivarti / a) He who does not turn away those who are inclined to come back to this world. b) He Who does not turn away from His battles with the asuras. c) He Who does not turn away from dharma under any circumstance. d) He whose creations never turn back in their shape, form etc. till pralaya. Om anivartine namah.
604. nivrttatma / a) He whose Nature is superior to other things. b) He who is the atma of those who practice the nivrtti dharma. c) He whose nature is that He is free from the bonds of samsara. d) He whose mind is turned away from worldly attachments. e) He whose mind turns away from any feeling of self-glory over His kirti or fame. f) He who naturally turns away from the objects of senses. g) He who does not turn away from anywhere because of He is Omnipresent. om nivrttatmane namah.
605. samkshepta / a) He who constrains or limits (the field of light of knowledge of those who practice the pravrtti dharma). b) He who, at the time of cosmic dissolution, contracts the expansive Universe into a subtle state. c) He who minimizes the misfortunes of His devotees. Om samksheptre namah.
606. kshema-krt / a) He who does what is good for His devotees. b) He who protects what has been acquired by His devotees. Om kshema-krte namah.
607. sivah / a) He who gives auspicious things to His devotees. b) He who purifies those who meditate on Him. c) He in whom the whole Universe rests at the time of pralaya. d) He who resides in everything and everywhere. Om Sivaya namah.
608. srivatsa-vakshah / He who has the Srivatsa mole on His chest. Om Srivatsa vakshase namah.
609. srI-vasah / The Abode of Lakshmi. Om Sri-vasaya namah.
610. srI-patih / a)The Consort of Lakshmi. b) The Master of the Supreme Cosmic Power. Om srI-pataye namah.
611. srImatam-varah / a) The Best Among those who possess affluence. b) The Best among those who possess knowledge of the Vedas. Om srimatam-varaya namah.
613. SriSah / a) He Who is the Isa or Lord of Sri. b) He Who has Sri as His Ruler. om Srisaya namah.
614. Srinivasah / a) The Abode of Lakshmi, b) The Support of Lakshmi. c) He who dwells in purified hearts. d) He who resides where Lakshmi resides. om Srinivasaya namah.
615. Srinidhih / a) He who has Lakshmi as His wealth. b) He in whom all wealth resides. c) He who is the treasure house for Sri. om srinivasaya namah.
616. Srivibhavanah / a) He who owes His greatness to Lakshmi. a) He who bestows greatness on all according to their karma. b) He who makes Lakshmi’s fame (vivhavam) known to everyone. om srivibhavanaya namah
617. Sridharah / The Bearer of Sri. Om sridharaya namah.
618. Srikarah / a) He who makes Lakshmi (follow Him in His incarnations). b) He who confers Sri (spiritual wealth) on the devotees, including moksham (nitya-sri). c) He who makes His devotees shine with Sri (glory). d) He who has taken the hand of Sri (Mahs Lakshmi). Om Sri-karaya namah.
619. sreyas-sriman / a) He that has Lakshmi who is resorted to by devotees for attaining the good. b) He who is decorated with the exquisitely beautiful wealth of ornaments such as His nupuram, keyuram, katakam, kiritam, etc. Om sreyas-srImate namah.
620. loka-trayasrayah / a) He Who is the Resort for all three worlds. b) He who is the substratum for the worlds-of-experiences of waking, dream, and deep sleep. Om loka-trayasrayaya namah.
621. svakshah / The Beautiful-Eyed. Om svakshaya namah.
622. sva’ngah / The Lovely-bodied. Om sva’ngaya namah.
623. SatAnandah / He of infinite Bliss. Om Satanandaya namah.
624. nandih / He who is ever delighted. Om nandaye namah.
625. jyotir-gaNeSvarah / a) The Lord of the host of lustrous deities (nitya suris). b) The Lord of the luminaries (the stars, sun, moon, etc.). Om jyotir-ganesvaraya namah.
626. vijitAtmA / a) He whose mind has been conquered (by His devotees). b) He who has conquered His Mind. Om vijitatmane namah.
627. vidheyAtmA / a) He who is of a submissive nature (to His devotees). b) He who has the jiva-s as subservient to Him. c) If a-vidheyatma, then He who is subservient to no one. Om vidheyatmane namah.
628. sat-kIrtih / He of true renown. Om sat-kirtaye namah.
629. chinna-samSayah / The Dispeller of all doubts. Om chinna-samsayaya namah.
630. udirnah / a) He Who visibly manifests Himself through His incarnations. b) He who is superior to all beings. c) He who elevates His devotees to His level. Om udirnaya namah.
631. sarvatash-cakshuh / a) He Who is visible to the eyes of all. b) He who has eyes everywhere, and sees everything through His consciousness. Om sarvatash-cashushe namah.
632. anisah / a) He Who is not the Master. b) He Who has no one above Him as the Master. Om anisaya namah.
633. sasvata-sthirah / He Who is eternally existent and steady. Om sasvata-sthiraya namah.
634. bhusayah / a) He who lies in His arca form wherever the devotee installs Him. b) He Who lay on the sea shore on His way to SrilankA. c) He who lies inside every one of His creations as their antaryami. d) He in whom the whole world rests at the time of pralaya. Om bhusayaya namah.
635. bhushaNah / He Who becomes adorned, or He Who adorns. a) He who wears the ornament of saulabhyam as His bhushanam. b) He who is decorated with all kinds of different and wonderful ornaments as described by emperumanar in Sri Saranagati gadyam. c) He who adorns this world with His different incarnations at His wish. d) He Who adorns every creature by His being their antaryami. e) He who beautifies this world by His variety of creations. Om bhushanaya namah.
636. bhutih / a) He Who is wealth to His devotees. b) He Who is the personification of Glory. c) He Who is the cause of all glory in His creations. d) He Who exists in the forms of all His creations. Om bhutaye namah.
637. asokah or visokah / He Who is without sorrow. Om asokaya namah.
638. sokanasanah / The Destroyer of sorrows. Om sokanasanaya namah.
639. arcishman / He Who has great luster. Om arcishmate namah.
640. arcitah / He Who is worshipped. Om arcitaya namah.
641. kumbhah / a ) He Who is an object of desire. b) He Who shines in this world. c) He Who fills this world with His fame. d) He in Whom everything is contained. e) He Who envelops the earth. Om kumbhaya namah.
642. visuddhatma / He of a pure nature. Om visuddhatmane namah.
643. visodhanah / The Purifier. Om visodhanaya namah.
644. aniruddho / om aniruddhaya namah
645. apratirathah / The Matchless. Om apratirathaya namah.
646. pradyumnah / a) He Who illumines the jivas. b) He Whose wealth is of a superior order. c) The Bestower of all desires. d) He Who is endowed with great strength. om pradyumnaya namah.
647. amitavikramah / He of immeasurable steps. Om amitavikramaya namah.
At the outset, we will note that there are different versions of this Sloka in use, where the namas 649 and 650 occur as follows. virah surah, Saurih surah, Saurir-vIrah, virah saurih, etc. Thus the two names are chosen from vIrah, Saurih, and Surah, depending on the patham that is being used.
648. kalaneminiha / a) The destroyer of the wheel of ignorance of Time. b) The Destroyer of the asura by name kalanemi. c) He Who sets the direction for the sun who is the controller of Time. d) He Who is beyond the wheel of Time. om kala-nemi-nighne namah.
649. saurih / a) The son of Sura (another name for Vasudeva), or He Who is born in the race of suras, a Yadava clan. b) A reference of Sauri rajap perumal of tirukkannapuram c) He Who is ever valiant and victorious. Om sauraye namah. (This nama has been presented earlier as nama 342, Slokam 37.)
650. surah / The Valiant. Om suraya namah.
651. sura-janesvarah / The Chief of the sura-s or the valiant people. Om sura-janesvaraya namah.
652. tri-lokatma / a) He who ever moves about in the three worlds. b) He Who makes the three worlds move about. c) He Who is the atma for everything in all the three worlds. Om tri-lokatmane namah.
653. tri-lokesah / The Ruler of the three worlds. Om tri-lokesaya namah.
654 (23). kesavah / a) One who has beautiful locks of hair. b) He whose hair is of supreme fragrance. c) He who is the source or origin of Brahma and Siva. d) He who is the source of the rays emanating from the Sun etc. e) The Slayer of Kesi. f) The tormentor of His enemies. g) One who has adhipatyam over water (oceans etc.). h) One who has adhipatyam over the different kinds of sukham (including moksham). Om kesavaya namah.
655. kesiha / a) He who killed the asura by name Kesi. b) He who directs Agni, Surya, Indra, Vayu etc. in their functions. Om kesighne namah.
656. harih / a) The green-hued. b) He Who removes the distress of His devotees. c) He Who wards off samsara with its cause from His devotees. d) The Destroyer of the Universe at the time of pralaya. om haraye namah.
657. kama-devah / a) The One who grants all desires. b) The Lord who is desired by those who seek the four purusharthas. Om kama-devaya namah.
658. kama-palah / a) The Protector of the gifts that He bestows. b) The Protector of those who desire Him. Om kama-palaya namah.
659. kami / a) He who has all things that are desirable. b) He who is of fulfilled desires. om kamine namah.
660. kantah / a) He Who is charming. b) He Who causes the end of Brahma at the end of his period. c) He Who is present everywhere, and Effulgent. Om kantaya namah.
661.krtagamah / a) The Revealer of the sacred mantra-s to the pure-minded. b) He who has propounded the Pancaratra Agamas. c) He Who has given us the Srutis and the Smrtis. d) He from Whom the krita yuga emerged. e) He who victoriously entered the gathering of His kith and kin after slaying Kesi. f) He Who appears to His devotees again and again in whatever form they desire. om krtagamaya namah.
662. anirdesya-vapuh / a) He of indefinable form. Om anirdesya-vapushe namah. 663. vishnuh / The Pervader. Om vishnave namah.
664. virah / a) The Valiant. b) The swift Mover (into the hearts of His devotees or against demons). c) He Who destroys His enemies. d) He Who makes the enemies tremble in front of Him and run, showing their backs. Om vIraya namah.
665. anantah / a) The Limitless. b) One who is beyond the reach of those who are not of pure mind. Om anantaya namah.
666. dhananjayah / a) He Who surpasses all other wealth in being desired. b) One Who manifested Himself as Arjuna, the conqueror of wealth. Om dhananjayaya namah.
667. brahmanyah /a) He who is beneficial to all the big things both acetana and cetana, namely prakriti and atman. b) He who is beneficial to Brahman, namely the Veda, brahmans well-versed in scripture, penance, etc. Om brahmanyaya namah.
668. brahma-krt-brahma / The Creator Who created Brahma, the creator of big things. Om brahma-krt-brahmane namah.
669. brahma / The Supreme Brahman, Paramatma. Om brahmane namah.
670. brahma-vivardhanah / a) He Who makes dharma grow. b) He Who grows and nurtures everything in a big way. Om brahma-vivardhanaya namah.
671. brahmavit / a) The Knower of the Vedas. b) He Who restored the Vedas during His Matsya incarnation. c) He Who knows everything big, both seen and unseen, and those that can only be inferred. om brahmavide namah.
672. brahmanah / The Instructor of the Vedas. om brahamnaya namah.
673. brahmi / a) He who possesses all that goes by the term brahma – prakriti, Purusha, Isvara, Veda, etc. b) He Who has the four-faced Brahma in His nabhi-kamalam. om brahmine namah. 674. brahmanjah / The Knower of the inner meaning of the Vedas. om brahmajnaya namah.
675. brahmana-priyah / a) He for Whom the brahamanas are of special liking. b) He Who is specially liked by the brahamanas. om brahamna-priyaya namah.
676. mahakramah / a) He Who provides easy step-by-step access for the elevation of His devotee. b) He of the three great strides (in His Trivikrama incarnation). c) He Whose strides are great in that He reaches everything faster than anyone else. d) He Whose Feet are great (to surrender). om mahakramaya namah
677. mahakarma /He of great actions. Om mahakarmane namah.
678. mahatejah / He of great Resplendence. Om mahatejase namah.
679. mahoragah / a) He Who is great, and enters into our heart (uras). b) He Who has a great heart (uras), and blesses us. c) He Who manifests Himself in the form of the great serpent Ananta, Vasuki, etc. d) He Who has the serpent ananta as His bed. e) he Who traverses everywhere in the form of the Sun with His broad chest. Om mahoragaya namah.
680. mahakratuh / a) He Who is worshiped by the great yagas. b) He Who can be easily worshiped. c) He Who can be worshiped in many ways d) He Who is the Great Sacrifice (that gives the best results). e) He Who performed the great sacrifice called the pancaratra kratu. Om mahakratave namah.
681. mahayajva / a) He Who performs great sacrifices. b) He Who has the special class of devotees (mahayajvas) of a superior nature. om mahayajvane namah.
682. mahayajnah / a) He Who is the best among those to be worshiped. b) He Who manifests Himself in the form of the best of yajnas. c) He Who is worshiped by the great jnanis, or He Who is worshiped through great sacrifices. Om mahayajnaya namah.
683. mahahavih / a) He Who is worshiped with supreme oblations. b) He Who manifests Himself in the form of the great Offering. c) He Who accepts the whole Universe as havis at the time pralaya. Om mahahavishe namah.
Born on Makara Uthiradam star, native of Mukkur and brought up in Ladavaram village near Arcot and now well settled in Mumbai for over five decades. Presently, at 70, trying to run this website without any commercial expectations or profit motive, just for the sake of our future generations to understand about Sanatana Dharma & Srivaishnavam sampradayam.Within my limited knowledge that I put it here, what I learnt from the world.